In this tutorial you will learn How to Combine First and Last name in Google Sheets.
To Combine Firstname and Lastname in Google Sheets ,Go to the Column where you need to display the result and type the contatenate function with the firstname and lastname reference cells for example CONCATENATE(A2, ” “,B2)
How to Combine First and Last name in Google sheets : Step by Step Guide
You might come across a scenario where you two Columns in Google Sheets with First name , Last name and you want to combine it and display the result on a third column.In such a scenario you can use the concatenate function to combine the display the result in a third column .
CONCATENATE(string1, [string2, ...])
string1– The first string .Here we will specify the first name
string2 ...– second string which we want to combine .Here we will specify the lastname.
Method 1 : Using CONCATENATE function
Enclosed to Combine First and Last name in Google sheets
Step 1 : Open Google Sheet with first name and last name dataset.
Step 2 : Navigate to the column where you want to display the result and type
=CONCATENATE( in the funtion area.
Step 3 : Select the first name from Column A
As soon as you select the first name for example A2,it will be specified as first string and cell reference in the concatenate function.
Step 4 : Once the cell is specified ,type
," " , this will add space between first name and lastname.
Step 5 : Now Select the cell reference with lastname to specify the second string.
- Now just click after the
," ", inside concatenate function to bring the cursor.
- Now navigate to the column with the last name and Select the cell refrence with Lastname in our example B2
- Close parenthesis is automatically applied by Google Sheets.
Step 6 : Click on Enter
Once you click enter,You will get the first name lastname in the third column as shown below.
Step 7 : Apply the formula on rest of the cells in the column.
To apply the formula on rest of the cells down the column,Simply hover over to the blue square at corner of result cell ( example C2) until it turn into a plus sign .
Now drag it down until the end of the Column cells .This will apply the concatenate function across the cells.
Method 2 : Using Ampersand Operator
- You can also combine Firstname and Lastname in Google Sheets using the Ampersand Operator.
- Here are the steps to combine Firstname and Lastname in Google Sheets using the Ampersand Operator.
- In this example we will combine the First name in Column A with Lastname in Column B and display the result in Column C.
Step 1 : Navigate to Column C where you need to display the result.
Step 2 : Now in the function area type =A2&B2
- In the function area starting typing equals to = followed by the firstname cell reference which is A2 in our example.
- Now Type the Ampersand Operator followed by the cell reference for Lastname which is B2 in Our example
- After typing equals to sign = you can also just click on the cells for firstname for example A2 followed by & and then Click on the cell with the Last name B2.
Step 3 : Now press enter
Step 4 : Apply the formula on rest of the cells
Method 3 :Using CONCAT Function
You can also use Concat Function to combine first and lastname in Google
How to Combine First and Last name in Google sheets(Summary)
We hope this tutorial on How to Combine First and Last name in Google sheets was helpful.
Related articles :
How To Transpose Data in Google Sheets
How to count non-empty cells in google sheets
How to Count Cells based on Color in Google Sheets