While working with Google Sheets you might come across situations where you want to adjust the height of the rows, so that the large data set can fit in the rows.
To Change row height in google sheets follow the below steps :
Method 1 : Using Mouse Click and Drag
- Navigate your mouse cursor just below the row where you want the adjustment.
- Now press and hold the left mouse click button and drag it downwards.
Method 2 : Using Double Click.
- Select the rows for which you want to adjust the height.
- Move the cursor to the bottom of any row:
- Now Double click your left mouse button.
Let’s go through the steps in detail on How to Change Row Height in Google Sheets.
How to Change Row Height in Google Sheets : Step by Step Guide
To change row height in Google Sheets follow the below Steps.
#Change row height in Google Sheet with a Mouse Click and Drag
If you have less number of rows, it can be easily done using a Mouse click and drag.
Let’s take an example, below is the dataset where we want to change the row height of 3rd row.
Let’s go through the Steps to Change Row Height in Google Sheets.
Step 1: Navigate your mouse cursor just below the row where you want the adjustment.
Step 2: Now press and hold the left mouse click button and drag it downwards.
Step 3: Now release the left mouse click button at the point where you think the height is OK.
Similarly, you can adjust the height for Multiple rows.
#Auto-fit row height using Double Click.
We can also use mouse double Click to increase the height of your rows in google sheets so that all the data will fit in the Rows.
Follow the below steps to Auto-fit row height using Double Click.
Step 1: Select the rows for which you want to adjust the height.
To select all the rows press and hold the shift key then click on the second row and then click on the last row 7th.
Step 2: Move the cursor to the bottom of any row.
As soon as you move the cursor to the bottom of the row, it will change into an upward and downwards facing arrow sign as shown below.
Step 3 : Now Double click your left mouse button.
Once you double click using the left mouse button it will adjust the height of the selected rows.
Specify the Height (in Pixels) to resize the Rows
You can also use the specify row height ( in pixels) option under Resize rows to adjust the height of selected rows.
Follow the below steps to resize the rows by specifying the height in Pixels.
Step 1: Select the rows where you want to make the adjustment.
Step 2: Press the right mouse click on any selected row.
Step 3: From the available option Click on “Resize rows”
Step 4: Adjust the height in the “Specify row size” option” under Resize rows screen and press OK.
Once you click on Resize rows a new resize rows screen will pop up.
Adjust the height by specifying the size in pixels (default:21 )
Once you click OK all the selected rows will be resized to the same specified size.
Adjust the Height using “Fit to data” option
Google sheets also has an in-built “Fit to data” feature using which the height of the rows can be adjusted automatically to accommodate the data.
To adjust the height using the “Fit to data” option follow the below steps.
- Select all the rows for which you want the auto fit to be applicable.
- Right-click using mouse and from the available options select Resize rows.
- Under Resize rows dialog box, Choose Fit to data radio button.
- Now Click on OK
How to Resize Columns
The method to adjust and resize the columns is pretty much the same as we saw for adjusting the rows.
To resize and adjust the Column size follow the below steps
By Using Mouse Click and Drag
- Select the columns which you want to resize and adjust.
- Move the cursor at the top of the line between two columns until it changes to an arrow sign facing left and right .
- Now drag it towards left or right side based on your requirement.
- Release the mouse click and your column will be resized .
By Using Fit to Data Auto-fit
- Select the Columns where you want to adjust the size.
- Press the right mouse click on the selected Column.
- From the available options,Click on Resize columns
- Under Resize Column Window Choose Fit to data.
- Now Click on OK
Note: Under Resize Columns screen you can also adjust the width of the column manually by specifying the pixel size.
Resize using Auto-fit with Mouse Click
- Select the columns where you want to adjust the size. To select all the columns Press CTRL+A
- Navigate your mouse cursor on any of the the top line dividing two columns until the sign change to an arrow sign facing left and right.
- Now double click with Mouse left Click
- The Column size will be automatically adjusted to fit the data.
We hope this tutorial on How to Change Row Height in Google Sheets was helpful.
Related articles :