In this tutorial, we will learn How to Hide and Lock columns in google sheets
At times we don’t want to show all the data in a Column on our Google Sheets. So How can we hide and lock the columns in such cases so that it is not visible to other users?
Let’s find out How to hide and lock columns in Google Sheets.
#To Hide columns in google sheets follow the below steps:
- Use Right Click and Hide
- Select the Column ,right Click and Choose “Hide Column”
- Use Keyboard Shortcut
- Select Column and Press CONTROL + ALT + 0
#To Lock columns in google sheets follow the below steps:
- Select the column which you want to Lock.
- Right-click with the mouse Go to “view more column actions “.
- Set Permissions.
- Restrict the Editing option.
How to Hide and Lock columns in google sheets : Step by Step Guide
Option 1 : Right Click and Hide
The simplest and easiest way to hide a column is to select the column right-click on it and choose the option hide as shown below.
In the below example we have selected column B and after Right-click with the mouse choose Hide Column.
This will hide the Selected Column.
How to Hide Multiple Columns
If you want to hide multiple columns at one go, first select the columns that you want to hide.
- Press and hold the Shift Key and now using mouse left click select the columns .
- Once the Columns are seletecd ,right click and select “Hide Columns”
As you can see below the screenshot we have selected “Hide Columns B-E” which means columns B, C, D, E will be hidden.
Hide Columns in Google Sheets with keyboard Shortcut
Everyone has their own preference while working on a laptop or desktop. Some people prefer to work with the mouse a lot while others with keyboard Shortcuts.
If you are someone who loves to use Keyboard Shortcuts then you can use the below Shortcut to Hide Columns In Google Sheets.
- Selected the columns then Press and hold the CONTROL + ALT + 0 keys simultaneosly to hide the required columns in Google Sheets.
CONTROL + ALT + 0 (Press and hold the Contorl and ALT keys and then press 0 numeric key)
# How to Unhide Columns In Google Sheets
To unhide Columns In Google Sheets use the below method.
- Once your column is hidden in Google Sheets you will see two arrows pointing in opposite direction .
- Hover your mouse cursor towards the right arrow sign and simply click on it as shown below
- Now the hidden Column will be visible.
How to lock a Column in Google Sheets.
To lock a Column in Google Sheets follow the below steps.
Step 1: Select the column which you want to Lock
Step 2: Right-click with the mouse Go to “view more column actions “.
Step 3: Select Protect Range.
- Once you click on “view more column actions” you will get the option Protect Range.
- Click on Protect Range
Step 4: Set Permissions
- Under Protected Sheets & Ranges provide a Name (optional) and Click on Set permissions.
Step 5: Restrict the Editing option
- By default you will get the option only you for “Restrict who can edit this range”
- As we want to lock this range for editing we will go ahead with the default option .
- Click on Done
Now the column will be locked for editing and only you can edit it as shown in the below screenshot
We hope this tutorial on How to Hide and Lock columns in google sheets was helpful.
Related articles :
How to Freeze Rows in Google Sheets
How to add code blocks in google docs
How to recover deleted google sheets
How To Transpose Data in Google Sheets