In this tutorial, we will learn How to Sort by Date in Google Sheets.
- After Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets is the most used spreadsheet application worldwide. As part of its feature set, Google Sheets includes a powerful sorting feature. The ability to sort by date is one of the most often utilized sorting options.
- Because the Date format can take many distinct forms, sorting by date might be difficult at times. Let’s find out How we can easily sort by date in Google sheets.
Here are the steps to sort by date in Google Sheets :
#Using the SORT Range Function
- In Google Sheets, open your spreadsheet.
- Except for the headers, select all of the cells in the table.
- Select Data > Sort Range from the menu bar.
- To sort by date, Select Sort range by Column A (A to Z or Z to A) under Sort range.
- Your selected table will be sorted by date .
#Advance Range Sorting Option
- Navigate to the Main menu and select Data->Sort Range-> Advance Range sorting .
- Select the Column which you want to Sort by Click on the drop-down option in front of “Sort by“
- ow you can you sort your desired Column to latest date or earlier date by selecting A-Z or Z-A and clicking on Sort
#Using Sort Function
- Select the Column and use the Sort formula
- Open your spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- Use the the Sort function to sort the date to get the desired result.
Let’s look at the above steps in detail.
How to Sort by Date in Google Sheets : Step by Step Guide
Option 1 : Using the SORT Range Function
The simplest way to sort by date in Google sheets is by using the SORT Range function
Following are the detailed steps for sorting a table by date in Google Sheets using the Sort Range function.
Step 1 : In Google Sheets, open your spreadsheet.
Log on to google sheets and open your google spreadsheet which you want to sort by date.
Step 2 : Except for the headers, select all of the cells in the table.
Excluding the headers, select all the cells with data on your Google Sheets as shown below.
Step 3 : Select Data > Sort Range from the menu bar.
- Go to the Main menu bar on your Google Sheets and Select Data.
- Under Data ,select Sort Range
Step 4 : To sort by date, Select Sort range by Column A (A to Z or Z to A)
Now to sort by date, Under Sort Range Select :
- Sort range by column A ( A to Z) or ( Z to A )
Your selected table will be sorted by date .
Option 2 : Advance Range Sorting Option .
To sort a specific column, select the Advance Range sorting option under Data->Sort Range-
Navigate to the Main menu and select
- Data->Sort Range-> Advance Range sorting
Select the Column which you want to Sort by Click on the drop-down option in front of “Sort by“
- Now you can you sort your desired Column to latest date or earlier date by selecting A-Z or Z-A and clicking on Sort
Option 3 : Using Sort Function
You can quickly sort date in Google Sheets using the Sort function.
Step 1: Open your spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
Open your spreadsheet with data that you want to sort in Google Sheets.
Step 2 : Select the Column and use the Sort formula.
- Select and click on the column with your mouse click so that the sorted result will be displayed in the column( in the below example B2)
- Use the below function to Sort the date to get the desired result.
Copy and Paste the above formula in fx areas as shown below and press enter.
Now we have a sorted list as expected
- The benefit of employing the SORT function is that the outcome is dynamic. If anything changes in your original dataset, the sorted data will alter automatically to reflect the changes.
- It accepts the input dataset and returns sorted date in the selected Column.
How to sort dates by day of the week in google sheets
The steps to sort a table by day of the week in Google Sheets are listed below:
Step 1 : Open your Google Spreadsheet.
Step 2 : Add two new Columns
Add two new columns with the name Day of the Week and Day of the Week in Number.
- Now we will use The WEEKDAY function, to calculate the day of the week depending on our date column.
- Result will be a number representing the day of the week, without its name.
date – The date for which the day of the week is to be determined. A cell containing a date, a function yielding a date type, or a number must be referenced.
[OPTIONAL – 1 by default] type – A number specifying which weekday numbering scheme should be used. Counts beginning on Sunday are set to 1 by default.
Every day of the week from Monday to Sunday will be represented from Number 1 to Number 7.
Step 3 : Just click on the any cell under day of the week Column .
Just click on any cell under the day of the week Column, in this example B2 as shown below.
Step 4 : Use the WEEKDAY Function
To begin the function, type the equal symbol ‘=’, followed by ‘week’ as shown below.
As you type =week, you will get the WEEKDAY option in the drop-down.Select WEEKDAY
WEEKDAY (day of the week of the date provided as number)
Step 5 : Select the Weekday depending on the date Column
- Once you Click on WEEDAY from drop-down ,you will automatically get the option to select Weeday based on your date column as shown below.
Click on Weekday(A2).
The result is Day of the week in Number which is 7 as shown below.
Step 5: Select and drag the Result under Day of the Week in Number.
To get the result on all other Days of the week in number cells. Simply select the Cell with the result (Blue colored), until the end of the column.
This will automatically apply the desired formula in all other cells.
We hope this tutorial on How to Sort by Date in Google Sheets was helpful.
Related articles :